How would you introduce a friend to Gang of Youths?

Ever since I started tweeting obsessively about GOY last year, I’ve had a lot of people (mainly fellow U2 fans) ask me what they should listen to or watch if they want to see what the fuss is about. It’s not a stretch to say that’s why this web site exists. Both Chris and Erik have blamed me for all of it. :smile:

I know how I replied to those tweets – links to songs, videos, articles, etc. I’m curious to know:

If a friend asked you today about GOY, where would you tell them to start? How would you introduce and get them started on the band?

I do the usual comparison (it’s like Bruce Springsteen mashed with U2 mashed with some sort of indie band you’ve never heard of).

I usually send a song link - generally Deepest Sighs, Frankest of Shadows or The Heart is a Muscle depending on the person and their personal style. I find I don’t want to raise someone’s expectations too much because their first listen is inevitably going to be less than what they were expecting and then the band grows on them.

At least imho. :slight_smile:

I would have them go to either Go Farther in Lightness or the Unplugged sessions and work their way backwards through the catalog. If I have to choose one song, it would probably be Deepest Sighs. I would also tell them to give it a fair shot and listen 3 times. That will usually get them.

And that is how I got here… :slight_smile: You should also add that it was a Spotify link. Haha.