Video of GOY's cover of LCD Soundsystem's 'All My Friends'

Back in March of 2015, GOY played a cover of LCD Soundsystem’s All My Friends for the Like A Version segment in the Sydney studios of Triple J. At the time it was acknowledged by many as being the best cover so far for LAV (that is, until their cover of Blood!) The video on YouTube got millions of hits, until it was pulled down in late 2016. Most people thought it was an ABC decision, but it seems that LCD Soundsystem weren’t happy about it. The video has appeared a few times on YouTube and Vimeo but has never lasted longer than a week before it was taken down.

Now you can enjoy it again:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WG-5irONxjCxw49s5M9OpS9Og3UFQ1gy/view

Thx for posting that, SB. I’m not at all familiar with the original, but this version is really good.

Is that a short-haired Donnie on drums? :slight_smile: Cool to see Jung on percussion - talented dude!

Yes, that’s Donnie. The original version sucks in my opinion.

Interesting. I don’t know much about LCD Soundsystem - are they notoriously litigious about covers and things or did they just not like how GOY played the song? Or maybe it was just a record label decision? I’m always curious about the backstory when things like this happen.

Yes, it’s very interesting. I’ve never heard of another Like A Version cover being pulled, and there have been hundreds of them. The message displayed was “Blocked by the Australian Broadcasting Commission on copyright grounds”. Triple J is the ABC’s national youth station and they have a huge legal department. Obviously they would be very anal regarding the song royalties. My guess is that LCD Soundsystem’s people weren’t happy about the revenue stream from advertising on the YouTube clip, which I hear can be substantial once you get a couple of million views. Maybe they wanted a cut of that… I really can’t think of another reason they’d object.